httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: [Fwd: png icons for apache]
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:22:17 GMT

In a message dated 00-09-18 13:49:12 EDT, J. Sutherland writes.

> Why bother? If we want PNGs, just convert the GIFs to PNGs once.
> Much more efficient.

Absolutely... but I was proposing something that would solve
the problem for everyone if/when the .GIF bomb explodes,
not just Apache.

It's worse than you think. MANY sites are actually building
the .GIF images dynamically ( advertisers, for example ) when
requested and they never acually exist as files. For them it's
a major codebase re-write... unless they have some filtering
available to do the real-time conversions for them 'on the fly'.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.
http://www.RemoteCommunications.com/