httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:23:24 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 00-09-12 13:30:53 EDT, Ken Coar writes:
>
> > Every filter should be
> > able to make whatever decisions it must based on the metadata
> > (content-type, content-encoding, et cetera) alone.  Before I
> > go any further, does anyone have any arguments with that?
>
> Um... yes. It's just not realistic... and it's 180 degrees from what
> you said just a few hours ago ( See below ).

No it isn't.  Let me rephrase the point I was trying to make:

No filter shold know, or need to know, what transforms (content
filters) have executed before it or will run after it.  Each
filter should treat the rest of the world as a black box: it
gets some metadata and some data, and performs its specific
function on those before dumping the result to its output.
How the date came to be the way it is, and where it goes when
the filter is done, are none of the filter's business.
--
#ken    P-)}