httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.cutil_filter.c
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:18:32 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> There are a couple of problems with the syntax that Ken proposed that I
> discovered when trying to implement it.

It would be nice if you would discuss the issues before implementing.

> 1)  The first argument being an extension or file name is wrong
>     IMHO.  We already have a means for attaching things to files
>     or extensions.  Those are file or directory sections.

Um-hmm.  And how about all the other directives that take
extensions as arguments?  Are you going to suggest that we
rewrite all of them?

> 2)  The first argument being a mime-type just confuses things.  Are
>     we using the mime-type of the original file or the thing we are
>     sending to the network?

Whatever the type is when the generator/handler has completed the
metadata and before beginning filter processing.

>     If we are using the original file, then that assumes that we
>     can add filters at any time based on mime-type

I don't see that.  The filter sequence is derived as soon as the
original metadata is finalised.  Changing the metadata does not
imply changing the filter stack.

>     See, the mime type can change half-way through a request.

But that shouldn't change the filter chain.

> For right now, I needed a way to add filters cleanly from my
> config file and this does it.

For right now you could hard-code the filter sequence or work with
mods in your own directory rather than tainting the repository
with your personal opinion of how a topic under discussion should
be implemented.  Please don't do this any more.. :-(
--
#ken    P-)}