httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:58:16 GMT
Tony Finch wrote:

> A filter should do one thing and do it well: it should not change its
> behaviour according to the circumstances of the request; instead the
> filter stack should be set up right in the first place.

I agree with the first sentiment, but not the second.  For the
first, I certainly wasn't suggesting that mod_filter_gzip change
its behaviour, merely that it make a Boolean decision about
whether to do its thing or be a transparent passthrough.

As for the second.. there's no way ANYthing is going to know
how all the various filter are going to morph the content,
so there's no way you can 'set it up right' in a reliably
deterministic way.  We have to have some modicum of intelligence
at each filter stage as to whether the filter should run or not;
the question is whether the filter is the one that knows whether
it can handle the content, or the core.  To my mind, the answer
is obvious: it needs to be the filter.  Otherwise the core becomes
a horrible kludgepile of special cases and registered features
that it has to arbitrate.  Not the ravioli model at all..
--
#ken    P-)}