httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Logging aborted connections in the access log
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:02:45 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> [...]
Eeeeuuw...yuck!  Sorry, Manoj and OtherBill, you triggered one of my pet
peeves left over from my last job.

<Rant>

One group of folks decided that if would make internationalization
easier if we never attempted to produce English explanations of whatever
Bad Stuff happened in the software.  So we ended up with hexadecimal
error codes in most of the error messages.  Since most humans don't
speak hexadecimal as a native language, everybody was forced to dig out
the right manual and look up the error codes whenever they appeared.
This added a great deal to the aggravation of getting the error in the
first place.  IMO this method wastes everybody's time, no matter what
language they speak.  I think we would be better off attempting to
explain things in human languages, even if it means additional effort in
translation.

</Rant>

Greg