httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Logging aborted connections in the access log
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:36:18 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> 1. Introduce a new LogFormat formatting field, %c, which would
>    spit out a suitable indicator. " X" if the connection was aborted,
>    "-" otherwise.

I like this option best, but "X"/"-" is awfully cryptic.  I'd
prefer something meaningful (and greppable) like "successful"/
"aborted"/"partial" (for an abort after some content had been
sent).  I think this also has the most flexibility for expansion.

> 2. Tweaking the behavious of the %s format field (%s displays the
>    response status) thusly..  200 ==> good response, 200x ==> Good
>    response, but the client closed the connection before the
>    response could be forwarded.

-1 for the same reason as you stated -- this changes the semantics
of an established format and could introduce breakage.

> 3. Tweaking the behavious of the %s format field thusly...
>    200 ==> good response, 499 ==> client closed the connection.
>    This has two problems, first is 499 is not an official client
>    error code. Second, we loose the original response status.

-1 for those reasons and the problem with #2.

Any change to the logging format has to be done by adding new
effectors, not by changing the meaning, syntax, nor semantics
of what's already there..
--
#ken    P-)}