httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: <Directory /> One last time prior to 1.3.13
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:21:47 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> 1. Override '/' on Win32 such that e:/bleh walks /, then e:/, and
>    finally e:/bleh?  There are already patches to that effect, and most
>    have agreed that it is an ugly to parse the world more like unix.

I personally prefer this, at least for the interim.

> Do we seriously look at this '/' rooting issue from the
> non-filesystem perspective?

The main problem with using '<Location />' (which would seem to
be the appropriate response) has to do with the .htaccess lookup
issue.  Also, this doesn't map directly to the 'all filesystem
documents, even ones outside the Web space but symlinked in'
meaning of '<Directory />'

The <Directory> concept grew from Unix semantics, and received
support from the nearly identical representation of URI hierarchical
space.  We warped it to OS semantics for Windows (not necessarily
a bad thing at all), and I expect the same is/has happened/ing for
OpenVMS.

But I *do* think we need a way to define default settings for all
documents on the server -- even/especially those outside the Web
space -- unless overridden by .htaccess, <Location>, or the like.
--
#ken    P-)}