httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:52:58 GMT

In a message dated 00-09-14 13:24:56 EDT, Ken Coar writes...

>  No filter shold know, or need to know, what transforms (content
>  filters) have executed before it or will run after it.  Each
>  filter should treat the rest of the world as a black box: it
>  gets some metadata and some data, and performs its specific
>  function on those before dumping the result to its output.
>  How the date came to be the way it is, and where it goes when
>  the filter is done, are none of the filter's business.

I hear you. 'Black Box' approach is easier to code.
What you are saying is that each and every installable
filter has to assume that it is handling a request as if
it were a regular HTTP internal redirect ( whether it is
or not ). You get metadata, you get data... do your thing.

However... you are still missing my point.
This is going to really limit what is possible to do.

You mean you cannot imagine a scenario where a primary
filter needs to install some cool sub-filters to help it get
the job done and that little 'family' of filters are never supposed
to know that they are related and working on the same original
data stream? I sure can.

This is complicated stuff. It is obvious that no one is willing
to dive into all the issues yet and that's fine. All I am trying
to do is ask that at this stage of the design you guys don't
cut yourself off at the knees and do anything that will PREVENT
the addition of more dynamic smarts later on.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.
http://www.RemoteCommunications.com