httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:53:50 GMT wrote:
>I hear you. 'Black Box' approach is easier to code.
>What you are saying is that each and every installable
>filter has to assume that it is handling a request as if
>it were a regular HTTP internal redirect ( whether it is
>or not ). You get metadata, you get data... do your thing.

Except for the fact that that isn't the way HTTP internal redirects
works. They take an HTTP request and produce an HTTP response, wheras
a filter takes a data stream and produces a different data stream.
(The data stream has some attributes like content type, content
encoding, transfer encoding, but it isn't a full HTTP response -- see
the distinction between entity headers (which filters may change) and
response headers (which they may not) in RFC 2616.)

>You mean you cannot imagine a scenario where a primary
>filter needs to install some cool sub-filters to help it get
>the job done and that little 'family' of filters are never supposed
>to know that they are related and working on the same original
>data stream? I sure can.

I don't see why they have to be apache-level filters rather than being
encapsulated inside your own code, especially if your sub-filters are
implemented by an external library like NetPBM.

en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y
eatp o v eiti i d.

View raw message