httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Mailing List Archive
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:03:10 GMT
On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:19:49PM -0700, Sander van Zoest wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> First off, let me say that I am *not* a graphic artist/designer *grin*,
>
> > Ahmmm... the message font is too small (at least for me, in
> > courier no less ;-@
>
> Courier is because I am using <pre> tags right now, since I didn't
> have the time to get spacing going.  I have bumped the font up.

I think the Courier is fine. You aren't doing it now, plus please don't set
specific font sizes... I can't stand sites that override my font settings.

> > Would be good if the message id's were in the list, as well, since
> > we key on message id in the status files, et. al.
>
> That one is pretty easy to add. Done! ;-)

It is actually a bit difficult to read the message header. I would recommend
carrying the black on the left over to the right. Or even better, have two
shades of grey, alternating between the header lines. That makes it easier
to visually connect the header name with its value.

> > But hey, everyone's a critic :-)
>
> As long as the feedback is constructive, then it is always appreciated.

*) It would be nice to link the feathers to www.apache.orgs.

*) the message numbers in the list are extraneous -- they have no relevance,
so they should simply be omitted to provide more screen real estate

*) it would be nice to have a date/time in the msg list (shortened to
something like "Sep 12 17:42" since the month/year are already provided at
the top of the page.

*) I'm not sure it makes sense to have a web archive of the CVS mailing
lists. 1) that info is in the CVS logs; 2) it can be browsed on the
apache.org site via viewcvs.  That said, possibly there are people who want
to review them thru the mailing list, but I might suggest moving them to the
bottom of the front page ("CVS Checkins Mailing Lists")

*) the threaded view should probably be the default. note that if you add a
Date column to the list, then you can link that to the sorty-by-date list.

That's all. It's great to have web archives back on line! Thx!

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/