httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:49:58 GMT
On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 04:25:46AM -0400, TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 00-09-12 02:24:19 EDT, Tony Finch writes...
> >> TOKILEY wrote...
> >> The successfull filtering of the content does not simply depend
> >> on MIME type in and MIME type out. It all depends on what is
> >> actually INSIDE the object itself.
> >
> > Hmm, yes, I did miss a big point there. Try writing more
> > concisely so that it's easier to spot the part of your
> > message that has something new to say :-)
>
> Thanks for the advice, I will.
>
> Try reading more closely so that you don't miss the
> parts of a message that have something new to say :)

When the messages are four pages long, I tune out around the second page. I
would guess most people do the same thing (certainly sounds like Tony and I
are similar here).

If you want to make certain points, then do it concisely. You stand a much
higher chance of actually making that point. Bury it in your standard thirty
paragraph treatise, and it just won't happen.

Not speaking for everyone, but people just don't want to spend the time to
wade through that much stuff.

Note that we also ask for teeny patches for much the same reason: once
things get past a certain size, the system breaks down and people won't read
the stuff. Since our goal here *is* to have people read the patches/commits,
we have an unwritten(?) policy to keep them short, single-minded, and
concise as possible.

Cheers,
-g

p.s. that said: there is nothing in the current design to prevent dynamic
addition/removal/rearrangement of filters. *if* you know what you're doing
and you do it before content begins to flow past you in the filter stack.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/