httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:30:25 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
>Tony Finch writes...
>
>Best example I can think of is a filter that actually works
>right now and is VERY necessary for any next generation
>HTTP Server...
>
>The dynamic filtering of graphics content for different User Agents.

I think your suggested way of going about this is completely wrong.
Before you get to the content handler stage you know the User-Agent
and the resource requested. Therefore you know the input image type
and the output image type, so you can set up the appropriate filter
stack. This happens *before* the handler stage, and the filters do not
have to make any decisions.

A filter should do one thing and do it well: it should not change its
behaviour according to the circumstances of the request; instead the
filter stack should be set up right in the first place.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y    dot@dotat.at