httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Thoughts on filter-chain composition
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:21:57 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> wrote:
>TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Would it be up to each and every filter to check for the existence
>> of the 'Content-encoding' field when the buckets start showing up
>> and then do its own response field checking to see if it knows how
>> to handle whatever that might be?
>
>I believe so, yes.

Hmm, I think if the filter can't handle the data stream then it
shouldn't be there in the first place. However I agree that this is
hard for the code to predict in advance, so ...

>> We are right back to the slippery slopes of who's responsible
>> for tracking all filter 'dependencies' again. Does the filtering
>> engine have any responsibility or is the onus always going
>> to be on the filter write to check for ALL possible 'no can do'
>> scenarios?
>
>I think the latter.  That's modular and extensible.

... I think it should be the responsibility of the server
administrator to configure it properly so that the problem
doesn't occur.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch