httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: eek. poor chunking behavior.
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:32:19 GMT
On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 10:10:26AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Coalesce the buckets into bigger buckets.

Coalesce or set aside. Yah.

> This was mentioned as a much
> needed improvement when the chunking filter was first committed.  It is
> very likely that the comment was deleted at some point.

Still there.

> BUFF is not the
> correct solution, because it forces memcopies.  By just having the
> chunking filter do a bit of buffering, we solve the problem much cleaner,
> and we can avoid a big number of the memcpys.

BUFF doesn't force memcpy all the time, but I do agree that buckets improve
the granularity of knowing the lifetimes of each bit sent over the wire
(e.g. which are immortal vs transient, and therefore which need to be copied
when set aside).

Regardless, a separate buffering filter is probably best, rather than
incorporating that into the chunking filter. We would want the buffering
when chunking isn't being performed. [presuming we will eventually toss BUFF
and its buffering]

Cheers,
-g

--