httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: eek. poor chunking behavior.
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:27:16 GMT
On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 12:00:23AM -0700, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:45:15PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Using BUFF, the response would be one big-ass chunk.
> > Using the filter, I've got 21 (!!)
>
> What are the ill effects of this? Small chunks (greater than a few
> hundred bytes anyway) are slightly wasteful, but not really that bad
> as far as I can tell. Now, if the chunks are 3 bytes, or if each chunk
> is being send out as a seperate packet, that would be really bad.

Calling ap_rputc('<', r) will generate a chunk. So you have single-byte
chunks(!)

BUFF is still present, so it is aggregating network packets. But each
ap_r*() function is generating a separate chunk.

Just ran a test. On 1.3.13-dev, I got a single chunk of 1016 bytes. On
2.0-dev, I got 23 chunks ranging in size from 1 byte to 248 bytes.

> Still, preventing this would be a good thing. Maybe the buffering
> filter should be inserted before chunking?

When we get it... yes, it probably makes sense to place it before the
chunking.

Cheers,
-g

--