httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:59:54 GMT
> stoddard@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >
> >First cut at a filter to buffer/coalesce multiple small buckets into
> >a single large bucket.
>
> The whole
> point of buckets is to avoid copying,

Avoiding copying is a good general design goal, but I question the wisdom of
dogmatically pursuing this goal without considering code complexity or the
impact on Apache module writers.  And buffer filter will not move ANY bytes when
working with file or pipe buckets for all common cases of interest (today :-).

> so whe should re-do the ap_rput
> stuff so that copying isn't needed in the first place and re-do
> mod_autoindex so that it uses buckets directly.

How much complexity will be added to ap_rput, et. al. to avoid a few byte
copies? Ditto question for mod_autoindex?  I agree in principle that
buffer_filter may not be the best solution, but it is a significant improvement
over what we have today. Get ap_rput and mod_autoindex working (perhaps I'll
give it a shot) and lets see how the two techniques compare. If you are right,
I'll gladly remove the buffer_filter.

Bill