httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Logging aborted connections in the access log
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:05:21 GMT
It would be useful to note in the access log when a request has been aborted by
the client.  The condition is easy to detect in mod_log_config by checking
r->connection->aborted.  I've considered several ways to log the info, none of
which are particularly appealing:

1. Introduce a new LogFormat formatting field, %c, which would spit out a
suitable indicator. " X" if the connection was aborted, "-" otherwise.

2. Tweaking the behavious of the %s format field (%s displays the response
status) thusly..  200 ==> good response, 200x ==> Good response, but the client
closed the connection before the response could be forwarded. I think this would
break log analysis tools that depend on the status field being three digits, so
probably not a good idea.

3. Tweaking the behavious of the %s format field thusly... 200 ==> good
response, 499 ==> client closed the connection. This has two problems, first is
499 is not an official client error code. Second, we loose the original response
status.  I tend to like this one the best though. Perhaps we should create a new
client error code to show this condition?

Thoughts?

Bill