httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: <Directory /> One last time prior to 1.3.13
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:51:58 GMT

I read this as a +1 for the patch submitted

> > Do we seriously look at this '/' rooting issue from the
> > non-filesystem perspective?
>
> The main problem with using '<Location />' (which would seem to
> be the appropriate response) has to do with the .htaccess lookup
> issue.  Also, this doesn't map directly to the 'all filesystem
> documents, even ones outside the Web space but symlinked in'
> meaning of '<Directory />'

No.  I wasn't suggesting <Location /> (which has it's own unique
meaning, and it's own current bugs.)  I am thinking of a single,
global namespace root per namespace (that is, the filesystem, sql,
or whatever else is provided.)  I can't picture <Directory ...>
every applying to an SQL content store, but we might envision a
new <SQLspace ...> block for SQL'ed pages.  Again, how do we
define a standard 'root' that everyone can anticipate?  Or shall
we always define content namespaces in terms of <Directory> blocks,
and play some remapping games?

To another post... I don't think HTTP routing is the -only- example
here, nor is an SQL page store.

> The <Directory> concept grew from Unix semantics, and received
> support from the nearly identical representation of URI hierarchical
> space.  We warped it to OS semantics for Windows (not necessarily
> a bad thing at all), and I expect the same is/has happened/ing for
> OpenVMS.

Then we also should be watching the <Directory /> issue from OpenVMS
as well... what are the opinions there?  Netware too, since "/" doesn't
map well to svr/vol:path semantics.

> But I *do* think we need a way to define default settings for all
> documents on the server -- even/especially those outside the Web
> space -- unless overridden by .htaccess, <Location>, or the like.

Amen