httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: return value of a filter
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:55:52 GMT
Jeff Trawick <> writes:

> Filters currently return the number of bytes sent.  I'm not sure how
> useful that is, since the prior filter doesn't know if that is good or
> bad.  What are cases where it is meaningful?  Maybe a filter should
> return the number of its input bytes which it processed (regardless of
> how many bytes it had to send to do so)?

Everybody that spoke up agrees that retcode is to be an apr_status_t
value.  A couple of folks wanted a filter to report some sort of byte
count.  I'll "fix" the return value issue Real Soon Now.  If somebody
wants to carry forward the notion that a filter should report a byte
count, they can debate it/code it/whatever as they see fit.  I don't
think I'll be removing any irreplaceable IP when I change the use of
the return value :)

Jeff Trawick | | PGP public key at web site:
          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message