httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_cgi.c
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:03:17 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> On 25 Aug 2000 rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
>
> > rbb         00/08/25 15:18:15
> >
> >   Modified:    src/ap   ap_buckets_pipe.c
> >                src/modules/standard mod_cgi.c
> >   Log:
> >   Make CGI's use bucket brigades.  This will only work with mod_cgi for the
> >   time being.  The changes should apply equally to mod_cgid, but I haven't
> >   had a chance to really try it yet.  This is definately sub-optimal as far
> >   as performance is concerned.  The concepts are there, and the flags are
> >   available for performance tuning, but I didn't want to really get too
> >   enmeshed in it today.
> #2)  We have a minor bug in the code right now.  mod_cgi and mod_cgid both
> know when they have hit the end of the request they are going to send.  I
> have modified mod_cgi to send along the eos bucket, and mod_cgid should do
> the same.  The problem is that we are then sending another eos bucket, and
> that is just wrong.  I am likely to try tackling this at some point unless
> somebody beats me to it.  I believe the solution is to remove all calls to
> finalize_request, and make handlers send down the eos when they are done,
> even if it is just done by ap_run_handlers.  Then, the core filter will
> finalize the request when it gets and EOS.

Why is it important for mod_cgi to send down the eos bucket?  It seems
at best to be a minor optimization, it currently introduces
broken-ness because of what ap_finalize_request_protocol() does, and
even if the ap_finalize_request_protocol() calls can be safely
removed, the EOS still doesn't work right for subrequests until
ap_pass_brigade() knows to axe the EOS before it hits the connection
filters.

Plz help me understand (or don't complain if I yank the EOS from
mod_cgi :) ).

Thanks,

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...