httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: usec vs sec
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:05:28 GMT
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> If we do anything here, lets at least make it a compile time option.
> There are cases where recording the finer resolution is of benefit.

Let me make myself a bit clearer, because I don't think I was clear at all
yesterday, I had other things on my mind.

I am not proposing ANY change to Base Apache.  If SGI's AAP project wants
to change the granularity to 1 sec, that shouldn't impact Apache at
all.  Base Apache should always use usecs.

Ryan

> Bill
>
> > On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Mike Abbott wrote:
> >
> > > Without losing resolution, it is harder to optimize away the
> > > gettimeofday() per request in 2.0 than it was to optimize away the
> > > time() per request in 1.3.  Is microsecond resolution for
> > > r->request_time absolutely necessary?  What's the penalty for lost
> > > resolution (for example, to 10ms or 1s)?
> >
> > There shouldn't be a penalty.  HTTP has 1s granularity AFAIK, so
> backing
> > the resolution down to 1s should be alright.  Dean had a reason for
> using
> > usecs, but I don't remember what it is right now.
> >
> > Ryan

> _______
> > Ryan Bloom                        rbb@apache.org
> > 406 29th St.