httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: PCRE symbols
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:29:04 GMT
On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Jon Travis wrote:
> >
> > Your argument about duplicating large chunks of code holds no
> > water.
> Um, why do you say that?  Having two copies of the same code in
> the server, differing only in entry-point names, isn't generally
> a good thing.

What Jon is saying is that the code isn't the same.  There will be some
duplicate code.  It is probably best to give an example, because I don't
think people are understanding the problem.

Python is compiled against PCRE, but it is an older version.  Becuase the
regular expressions that work againse PCRE is dependant on the PCRE
version, upgrading python's PCRE is non-trivial.  When mod-snake (mod-perl
for python basically) invokes a PCRE function, it always gets Apache's
PCRE.  The problem is that this happens even when the call is made from a
python function.  Now, python should have re-named their copies of the
functions, but so should Apache.  Neither of us did.  Python has regex's
that work against their version of PCRE, but that isn't getting called,
because Apache's version is in the way.

The same thing happened with expat and mod-perl.

Either Doug or Jon, please correct me if I have this wrong.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message