httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PCRE symbols
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:55:47 GMT
> > The inclusion of the PCRE library within Apache 2.0 causes some
> > problems with other programs which also use PCRE.  mod_snake
> > is the one which immediately comes to mind.. ;-)
> >
> > Would it be possible to namespace protect the PCRE we use
> > in Apache, to avoid these collisions?  There are only a
> > handful of symbols which would need to be changed.
> >
> > -- Jon Travis
>
> This subject seems to have fallen off the current topics list, but
> the consensus seems that this is probably an OK thing to do.
> Anyone have any -1's for it?  I'd like to get this moved in if it's
> approved.

It's still going to be a pain for existing modules like PHP who don't care
where such libraries come from.  If present in Apache we use the Apache
version, if not we link in our own.  If we hide the Apache version of
things like expat and regex then chances are large modules will be linking
in their own versions and thus duplicating large chunks of code.  And that
is in effect what you are asking for.  You want the Apache version hidden
so you can use your own.  It seems like a bad solution to me.

-Rasmus