httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Generated files
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:20:19 GMT
On 23 Aug 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net writes:
>
> > These files will always be present.  It was a mistake to not have them in
> > a4.  These files are needed in order for people without autoconf to build
> > Apache.  If the provided versions don't work on your platform, then please
> > submit patches back to the autoconf people.  Also send those patches to
> > this list so that we can put the correct version in CVS.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> How is it o.k. to ship generated_lists?  AFAICT, it doesn't get
> rebuilt unless you delete it, and it contains the path to libtool on
> the system used to built the tarball.

Maybe it isn't ok to ship generated_lists, I don't know.  Sascha, the guy
who wrote the build system says it doesn't matter because it only gets
used when building the configure script.  If that is true, and I have no
reason to believe it isn't, we could just not ship it and be perfectly
happy.  The rest of the files are absolutely necessary.  This is one of
the drawbacks to using libtool and autoconf instead of a home-rolled
package.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131