httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Removing apidoc from 2.0
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:34:59 GMT
On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > As I have said numerous times in the past, there is absolutely no need
> > to put docs into a separate top level directory in the CVS repository
> > to allow differing commit access to them.
>
> That remark doesn't apply to the 2.0 situation, because the 2.0
> API docs are *in* the source, not in separate files as in 1.3.
> So you can't grant access to the docs without also granting access
> to the source -- because they're the same.

That is a bit of a misnomer.  The docs are in the headers, which are a
kind of source file, yes.  But, the docs are all located in two or three
directories.  src/include apr/src/include src/os/unix.  That last one is
because of the os.h files every OS must implement.  99% of the problem
could be solved by opening access to src/include and apr/src/include.

The other solution, would be for somebody to write a new template file for
ScanDoc.  That template would generate XML from the ScanDoc comments.  We
could store those anywhere.  Then, we would need scripts to incorporate
the changes to the XML back into the headers, but I think that could be
managed.

The fact remains that we have two sets of docs.  One is complete and
ready to use, but it requires people have access to the include files in
order to modify them.  The other is in completely dissparate files from
the headers, but are incomplete.

I would rather open up the headers to more people, and have complete
headers.  I think we have enough competant perl hackers that we could have
the XML template quickly, and a tool to merge the doc changes back in
quickly.  The doc merge script could be run as a part of the CVS commit
obviously.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131