httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject www.hotmail.com IIS/5.0 suckage
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:48:28 GMT
jeffery baker pointed this out to me -- of interest to proxy folks mostly.
(and maybe some microsoft person will be shamed into sending the bug
report somewhere.)

	% telnet www.hotmail.com 80
	Trying 216.32.243.7...
	Connected to www.hotmail.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	HEAD / HTTP/1.1
	HTTP/1.1 302 Redirected
	Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
	Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:44:21 GMT
	Location: http://lc4.law5.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/login
	Connection closed by foreign host.

so not only does it respond before the complete request has been given,
the response itself is terminated by tearing down the connection -- there
isn't any way for the client to know that it received all the headers.

the fact that this works with MSIE/communicator probably indicates client
bugs as well...  there's probably some situation where we can construct a
response that is cut off mid-headers and results in broken client
behaviour.

-dean