httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <>
Subject Re: Filtering STATUS report :-)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:59:13 GMT
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Because it is inefficient and dangerous to allocate from the heap
> in a fashion that is linear to the amount of data in the response,
> even if the allocation is pool-based.

in addition to the reasons Roy gave it's important to understand the
effect which large buffers have on the TLB and L1/L2 caches.  with small
buffers, which are reused frequently, you may benefit from not having to
do extra TLB or cache line replacements when you write new data into the

(by way of contrast, mmap read-only areas can be evacuated from the cache
without doing a writeback... unless we start embedding processor specific
code to tell the processor no need to write buffers back to RAM you have
to pay the writeback.)

View raw message