httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apr_sucks
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:41:00 GMT
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> >
> > capricious symbol name changes are totally lame.
>
> We have code that's intended and designed to be reusable,
> and code that most definitely is neither.  Using the same
> namespace prefix for both is what's lame.

btw ken i can't imagine why you don't think buckets would ever be reused
by another program.  they're an implementation of zero-copy buffering.
there's only two other such implementations i'm aware of in userland, for
free software -- libstash, and libsplim.  libstash is a fine abstraction
with a terribly heavyweight implementation.  libsplim is still a toy, but
probably the most lightweight if you know what you're doing.  buckets are
clean with a few performance tradeoffs.

so the fact remains, that under current capricious/detrimental name change
policies when someone in the group finds a reason to link buckets into
some other program and wants them in a library you'll have to go about
changing the names.

better hope that happens before 2.0 is out the door, or it'll look really
dumb.

oh wait, did you properly guess all the code which is library candidates
and what isn't?  hope so!  'cause otherwise a name change is in the
future!

-dean