httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src Makefile.in
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:49:50 GMT
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>
> > It doesn't matter if the docs are wrong, they are required.
>
> "They are required" - i.e. "make install" breaks without them. So what? I
> don't want/need the docs in this case.

That is irrelevant.  We aren't developing for one person.  In general, the
docs are required.

> > They also aren't installed if you already have an htdocs directory.
> > What we are discussing here, is developers getting code without docs.
>
> Developers? I'm talking about an automated build process - I've seen some
> smart code, but none that can RTFM yet :)

We are not talking about an automated build process, and never were.  We
are looking at how we package the code.  We package the code for one of
two cases, developers who want access, and users.  In all cases, docs are
required.

> > That is unacceptable.  That gives the definite impression that docs
> > aren't important for developers to worry about.
>
> They are completely irrelevant when the "developer" in question is a
> collection of non-English speaking Perl scripts. That's the point.

That isn't a developer.  That is a test script.  If this is what you are
working for, then your automated scripts could just checkout the src
directory, and ignore everything in the top-level directory.

> For that matter, it may be desirable to make other docs modules available
> in other languages?

That is without a doubt important, but the docs are still important.  What
language the docs are in is irrelevant.  It should not be possible to
download a distribution of code without docs of some form.

> > Docs must always go with code.
>
> Why? Docs are no use in some cases: they are simply overhead.

You don't actually want a full distribution, so you shouldn't be using a
mechanism designed to deliver one.  If you want to grab just the code and
build environment, then your scripts can and should do that.

> Why? There are cases where the docs would simply waste space and
> bandwidth.

None of the cases we are talking about.

Ryan

406 29th St.