httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: missing htdocs directory in snapshots
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:12:07 GMT
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Greg Marr wrote:

> At 04:15 PM 08/08/2000, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > While a lofty goal, it is in fact impossible unless you disable
> > CVS
> > > access altogether and only let people download through tarballs.
> >
> >No it isn't impossible.  It is in fact rather easy to combine
> >multiple CVS repositories so that by checking out apache-2.0, you
> >also get httpd-docs-2.0, but when you checkout httpd-docs-2.0 you
> >don't get apache-2.0.  If I had the access on Locus, I would do this
> >myself.  I don't have the access, and the people who do have the
> >access could make this change much faster than I could anyway.
>
> If that's the case, that there are only a few defined things you can
> get from CVS, then CVS is much more limited than any other version
> control system I've used, since they all let you get as little as a
> single file at a time.

You are taking things to extremes.  All we are talking about, is what
happens when you try to get a full distribution.  Yes, of course it is
possible to grab just one file or a directory or a list of specified files
from CVS, but that isn't the case we are talking about.  We are talking
about somebody trying to download a version of "Apache 2.0".  That version
may be a blessed release, or it may be a snapshot from CVS, or it may be
the head of the CVS tree.  When somebody says "I want Apache 2.0", they
should always get code and docs.

> I did say that if it was possible to do this, then just do that and
> everything is taken care of.  If not, then just having the two
> side-by-side would be acceptable as well.  It seemed that if it were
> possible to do this, then someone would have done it by now instead
> of us sitting around discussing it to death.

There are very few people with the access rights to do this these
days.  It requires the same access rights as it does to create the new tar
ball.  I do not believe I have the access rights, and I definately don't
have the time.  I have a feeling the people who do have the rights haven't
done it because we have been wasting time discussing the "right" way to
fix the problem.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131