httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: missing htdocs directory in snapshots
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:42:23 GMT

> separate directory.  As Greg(?) said, Apache wouldn't be distributed
> without the docs, but the CVS tarballs would be separate.

The CVS tarballs are a form of distribution.  Allowing people to download
the code without the docs, is in essence telling people who modify the
code they don't have to worry about the docs, they do.

This was the argument originally made against splitting the CVS trees, and
the reason we went ahead and split them, was because everybody said that
we would never let developers get the code without the docs.

Since the time that split was made, we have had at least one change to
Apache-2.0 that makes "make install" not complain if you don't have docs,
and we aren't giving docs to people when the download Apache from the CVS
tarballs.  All I am asking for, is that we live up to what we originally
said about splitting the trees.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131