httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: missing htdocs directory in snapshots
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:39:37 GMT
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Sander van Zoest wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>
> > No.  This was one of the arguments that was made when we started talking
> > about this.  The split was done so that more people could commit to the
> > docs tree, not so that we could distribute source without docs.  In fact,
> > when Marc spoke up and said he disliked distributing without docs, we all
> > said the point was for CVS, not for any of our distributions.  Do you plan
> > on mentioning someplace that all of a sudden when you download a CVS
> > tarball, you also need to download an htdocs tarball?
>
> I was more thinking of doing snapshots for http://dev.apache.org/from-cvs/
> and such.

Same here.  Those CVS tarballs are a form of distribution for us.  We
advertise them as a way to get the code.

> > The source should never be distributed without the docs.
>
> I would agree that you do not want people to have the source with the
> docs since this would probably raise the support requests, but what
> about the I18N process and stylizing of the documentation. These people
> should have access to snapshots of the documentation, no?

Yes they should.  And if that means downloading the code too, then that is
fine.  It would be good if they could have just the docs, but that is less
important that making sure that the docs are always distributed with the
code.  The way I see it, it is perfectly valid to package docs without
code, but it is never valid to package code without docs.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131