httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: missing htdocs directory in snapshots
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:02:39 GMT

> > Why?  The docs are tied to a revision of Apache.  There is no way it
> > should ever be possible to download Apache and not get the docs.  It would
> > also be nice to snapshot the docs separately, but nobody should have to
> > download the docs if they have already downloaded Apache.
>
> They aren't tied any more. We can make several releases of docs for every
> Apache release. For example, even though we haven't released Apache 1.3.13
> yet, we can make a doc release to fix doc bugs and to do i18n docs.
>
> Each Apache *release* (not tarballs) should include docs.

No.  This was one of the arguments that was made when we started talking
about this.  The split was done so that more people could commit to the
docs tree, not so that we could distribute source without docs.  In fact,
when Marc spoke up and said he disliked distributing without docs, we all
said the point was for CVS, not for any of our distributions.  Do you plan
on mentioning someplace that all of a sudden when you download a CVS
tarball, you also need to download an htdocs tarball?

The source should never be distributed without the docs.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131