httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XBitHack.
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 23:25:10 GMT
> Can we remove this option for 2.0?  I can't even figure out why we need
> it.  Dirk seems to think it is because of mime types from the very early
> days of Apache.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, there are still people who use it.  The main reason for using it in
1.3 was that mod_include is a tad slow, so it is a good idea not to enable
SSI on pages that don't have any SSI tags and instead of needing to change
the filename from .html to .shtml when you add the first SSI tag to a
file, it was easier to just flip the x bit on the file to tell Apache to
feed it through mod_include.

I don't really have a good grasp on how many people use it these days.

-Rasmus