httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Global data is evil :)
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:22:54 GMT

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Does anyone object to this untested (but compiling) revision?
> Assuming the answer is no, I will commit it Monday eve, with the
> appropriate changes to http_main.c and mpm/win32/service.c

Yes, I object.  That getopt code was being used because it was from
FreeBSD.  We were trying to avoid using a standard function name and then
having it behave in a completely unexpected way.  By using the code from
FreeBSD, we know the code works, and we know that it looks like other
getopt code.  The only reason we replaced getopt was that it wasn't
standard across all platforms.

What problem are you trying to solve with this?  The only problem with
this code, is that it uses globabl variable, which makes it
non-threadsafe, but we are using this function to parse command line
options.  We shouldn't need to do that after we have spawned threads.

Ryan