httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: ARGH! Linux sucks. :-)
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 18:39:51 GMT

I don't know that I tried that combination yesterday.  I know I tried
ioctl across UNIX domain sockets, and across pipes.  I did that because
I_SENDFD was in the ioctl header file.  I assumed (first mistake) that
linux would follow SYS V.  After ioctl didn't work, I looked it up online
and every page says you have to use the proc fs.  When I have time,
tomorrow, I'll try sendmsg.

Thanks.

Ryan

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Paul Marquis wrote:

> We use sendmsg() on Linux to send file descriptors across UNIX domain
> sockets just fine, so I'm not sure why you say you can't do this.
>
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I have been working on getting a new MPM that allows each child process to
> > run with separate user/group ids.  This requires some file descriptor
> > passing.  Unfortunately, I have started working on this on
> > Linux.  Usually, there are two methods for passing file descriptors
> > around, ioctl with I_SENDFD (SYS V) and sendmsg (BSD 4.3).  Linux however
> > has decided in their vast wisdom to only support descriptor passing
> > through the proc filesystem, which is completely un-portable.  At least,
> > that is what everything I have read is saying.  I am committing what I
> > have currently.  This SHOULD work with a little debugging on SYS V
> > platforms.  I am setting it aside for the day, and I'll probably pick it
> > up again tomorrow sometime.
> >
> > In my mind, this proves that APR needs support for descriptor passing.  I
> > will not have a chance to add that anytime soon, but anybody who does have
> > the time would gain my eternal gratitude.  :-)
>
> --
> Paul Marquis
> pmarquis@iname.com
>
> As I said before, I never repeat myself!

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131