httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject ARGH! Linux sucks. :-)
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:55:04 GMT

I have been working on getting a new MPM that allows each child process to
run with separate user/group ids.  This requires some file descriptor
passing.  Unfortunately, I have started working on this on
Linux.  Usually, there are two methods for passing file descriptors
around, ioctl with I_SENDFD (SYS V) and sendmsg (BSD 4.3).  Linux however
has decided in their vast wisdom to only support descriptor passing
through the proc filesystem, which is completely un-portable.  At least,
that is what everything I have read is saying.  I am committing what I
have currently.  This SHOULD work with a little debugging on SYS V
platforms.  I am setting it aside for the day, and I'll probably pick it
up again tomorrow sometime.

In my mind, this proves that APR needs support for descriptor passing.  I
will not have a chance to add that anytime soon, but anybody who does have
the time would gain my eternal gratitude.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131