httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <>
Subject Re: apr_sucks
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:52:23 GMT
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, dean gaudet wrote:
> the example dougm gave which caused you all to jump in and make a symbol
> name change is equivalent to someone saying "i want to link half of the
> linux 2.2.17 kernel into my linux 2.0.36 kernel, do you think you could
> accomodate by renaming everything in 2.2.17?"

my example didn't make everybody jump, it was something that had already
been discussed, i just re-raised the issue.  and gimme a break, it's
nothing like linking kernels together.  i have something that links
against libapr so it can run outside of httpd (from command line,
daemons that are not httpd, mod_cgi, java servlets, etc.)  it's nice and
clean to use this library with 2.0, but until that's stable/released, we
need to support 1.3, the cleanest way todo that is to link against libapr.

> i don't consider there to be any hard requirement that APR be linkable
> with apache-1.3.

i don't think it's a requirement either.  there was plenty of time to say
"-1, don't do that because ...", i would have hacked around it some other

i waited a week after re-raising the issue, then said "ok, i'm gonna do it
tonight", i didn't do it that night (another chance to say "no") and said
the same thing the next day (another chance to say "no"), then actually
made the change late that night.

View raw message