httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src Makefile.in
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:46:55 GMT
On 9 Aug 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > > I'm sure you already thought of this, but just in case:
> > >
> > > 1) Docs are required for "make install" to work.
> >
> > Hrmph. Unless anyone can suggest any regression tests for the
> > documentation files - actually, I can think of a few, but they'd all fail
> > every .html file ATM - I don't want to install them anyway...
>
> I certainly not arguing with you about what your regression tests
> might/should/could/would do...  My original comment about docs being
> needed for "make install" to work was that, for my tests, it isn't
> that I test the doc files; it is that I wish to run the result of
> "make install" in order to ensure that "make install" works and that
> any weirdness done by libtool when it installs dsos went fine.

Ah, I see... I wasn't thinking in terms of regression testing the install
scripts yet. Right now, I'm stuck with regression testing 150k lines of 15
year old Pascal, ported from DOS to Windows, then from Windows into an NT
based WWW app using CGI. Eurgh....

Ultimately, I'd want to test the install scripts as well, which would
require having the docs available; that's off in the distant future,
though.

Speaking of automated testing, has anyone looked at making the docs etc.
pass the Validator tests? Those, coupled with some link-checking (maybe a
spell checker too?) would be the obvious tests to run...

> Have fun...

Once I'm done with the Pascal, pulling my fingernails would be fun :)

James.