httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src Makefile.in
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:39:58 GMT
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > 1) Docs are required for "make install" to work.
> >
> > Hrmph. Unless anyone can suggest any regression tests for the
> > documentation files - actually, I can think of a few, but they'd all fail
> > every .html file ATM - I don't want to install them anyway...
>
> It doesn't matter if the docs are wrong, they are required.

"They are required" - i.e. "make install" breaks without them. So what? I
don't want/need the docs in this case.

> They also aren't installed if you already have an htdocs directory.
> What we are discussing here, is developers getting code without docs.

Developers? I'm talking about an automated build process - I've seen some
smart code, but none that can RTFM yet :)

> That is unacceptable.  That gives the definite impression that docs
> aren't important for developers to worry about.

They are completely irrelevant when the "developer" in question is a
collection of non-English speaking Perl scripts. That's the point.

For that matter, it may be desirable to make other docs modules available
in other languages?

> Docs must always go with code.

Why? Docs are no use in some cases: they are simply overhead.

> > > 2) If you're doing "cvs update" in your automation, surely there
> > >    isn't much overhead to update the docs too?
> >
> > Not MUCH overhead, no; the question is, would it be easier to retain the
> > existing functionality, or to add in this overhead again?
>
> As Ken said, it is a simple one line change to add in the overhead.  This
> needs to be done anyway, because that allows us to easily tar the docs
> with the code, and it keeps people from having to do two checkouts
> whenever they check out the apache-2.0 tree.  To keep the existing
> functionality, we would also need to add another CVS module that didn't
> have the docs.  That would be a mistake IMHO.

Why? There are cases where the docs would simply waste space and
bandwidth.

James.