httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: missing htdocs directory in snapshots
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:55:33 GMT
At 03:42 PM 08/08/2000, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > separate directory.  As Greg(?) said, Apache wouldn't be
> distributed
> > without the docs, but the CVS tarballs would be separate.
>
>The CVS tarballs are a form of distribution.  Allowing people to
>download the code without the docs, is in essence telling people who
>modify the code they don't have to worry about the docs, they do.

If you look at it that way, plain old CVS, anoncvs, and ViewCVS are
already doing that.  People can already download the code without the
docs.  I don't see how having the two apache development trees in two
separate snapshots in the same directory is saying that people don't
have to modify the docs.  It seems very likely that no one who can
modify the code directly would use the snapshots anyway, they'd just
use CVS.  The people using the tarballs would submit patches to the
list.  If someone submits a patch to the list which should have docs
but doesn't, tell them that they'll need to include a docs patch
before it will be accepted.

>This was the argument originally made against splitting the CVS
>trees, and the reason we went ahead and split them, was because
>everybody said that we would never let developers get the code
>without the docs.

While a lofty goal, it is in fact impossible unless you disable CVS
access altogether and only let people download through tarballs.

>Since the time that split was made, we have had at least one change
>to Apache-2.0 that makes "make install" not complain if you don't
>have docs, and we aren't giving docs to people when the download
>Apache from the CVS tarballs.  All I am asking for, is that we live
>up to what we originally said about splitting the trees.

The best you can do is make a reasonable effort to ensure that people
get the docs tree at the same time as the code tree.  Putting the
docs tarball right next to the code tarball, and updating Doug's
"latest tarball" script should be sufficient.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu