httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Extension methods
Date Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:17:39 GMT
I've been looking at this issue of handling extension methods in addition
to our hard-coded list in a lot closer detail the last few days, and it
really does appear to be messy.

We can abandon the performance gain of the known-method bitmask and
go with a strictly string-based mechanism, or keep it and hybridise
processing to use strings only for extension methods, or <something else>.

I've been working on the hybrid approach, and it's a fairly significant
change; new structure, new API to use it, and changes to all the places
where the bitmask approach is used.

On the other hand, it abstracts and generalises the whole idea of
dealing with method names, and if/when we add more methods to our
'known method' list in the future, modules that use this API won't
need to be recompiled (assuming we accomplish anything resembling
binary compatibility :-).

Since I've started committing stuff on this whole concept, I'll just
keep on doing so with this approach.  Be warned, though, that it'll
touch a lot of areas.
#ken    P-)}

Apache Software Foundation  <>