httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: [Fwd: apache web server and proxy throughput numbers]
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:03:13 GMT

> Have any of you know anything about apache server/proxy throughput
> performance? We did some test and found apache proxy can only do 10
> request per second with freeBSD running on a Pentium 2 500M Hz, 500M main
> memory machine with 20 initial apache processes. Do you have anything
> better than 10/sec?

What configuration are you using the proxy server in? A forward proxy,
or a reverse proxy?

Also remember that the proxy can only ship data to you as fast as the
origin server gives it to you at. It also depends on whether the data
you are shipping is cacheable by the proxy or not.

We were using the reverse proxy to front end most of the content that
lives at (about 6GB worth of websites on a number
of backend machines). The reverse proxy was running on a Solaris E250
machine with 512MB RAM and was shipping around 1-1.5mbps of data at any
given time. The number of processes used hovered at around 100 to 150 at
any given time, although sometimes it did go higher than that.

View raw message