httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>
Subject Re: AAP patch for 2.0a6 available
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:01:03 GMT
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:20:20PM -0700, Mike Abbott wrote:
> The Accelerating Apache Project announces the availability of its
> enhancements for Apache/2.0a6.
> 	http://oss.sgi.com/projects/apache/
>
> We also are pleased to report that on a dual Pentium III Linux 2.4
> system our state-threaded MPM is 25% faster than the dexter MPM, which
> uses a similar process/thread architecture with pthreads.

This is pretty cool. I've been wanting to add better support for
something like Pth to Dexter.

I haven't had a chance to pore through the code (and I had trouble
getting to the patch when I tried anyway). Is this a modification of
Dexter, or a whole new MPM? How much of this is implemented behind the
scenes in the state threading library and how much is exposed in the
Apache layer?

It looks like it wouldn't be hard to write a pthreadish wrapper for
this. Then, Apache could have a
--with-threads=(pthread|pth|statethreads) configure option.

Good stuff.