httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: return value of a filter
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:37:16 GMT
On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 03:33:12PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I think a filter and thus ap_pass_brigade() should return apr_status_t
> and, if appropriate, return APR_SUCCESS (all input bytes processed) or
> an APR error code.  An additional filter parameter could be used if
> required to tell the caller how many bytes were processed|written.

+1 on using apr_status_t.

The number of bytes sent is (as you point out) rather bogus. "sent" is a
meaningless concept from the (theoretical) filter chain standpoint. The
"consumed" notion is nice, but the design point is simply: I consumed the
whole darn brigade. Byte counts are moot -- the caller is certainly not
going to do anything with them.

-0 on any kind of "out of band" query facility w.r.t bytes process/written.

Greg Stein,

View raw message