httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_make_dirstr
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:01:41 GMT
On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:41:14AM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > > We've had this discussion before.  I think there is far from a
> > > consensus that 'we don't want to change the API after beta.'
> >
> > The very nature of a "beta" is to not change APIs. I've never been involved
> > in any other software engineering effort where that was different.
> >

> I agree. We should do our best to stablize the API prior to beta. I am not against
> changing the API after beta, but it better be for a damn good reason and the changes
> should be minimal else we've not done our job.

APIs are distinct from features and functionality. API *changes* are a bit
tougher (agreed) because of third-party modules trying to adapt. Wholescale
changes would certainly be out, but piecemeal is no problem. *Additions*
should not be an issue.

And changes *under* and API would still be allowed.

The thing about Open Source is that we can do the *right* thing, rather than
be held to a static world by marketing pressures. If the right thing is to
revamp the entire API, then so be it. But to restrain the proper development
of Apache to meet an arbitrary deadline/goal is a bit wrong-headed.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/