httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Isn't BUCKETS name a little lame? ( Was apr_sucks )
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:41:28 GMT
woo... "first post" goes to me. hehe... and after a night of drinking. oh,
what fun...

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 04:14:48AM -0400, TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
> ...am I the only one who thinks that actually naming what will
> probably be a very sophisticated filtering interface a 'bucket brigade'
> to be about the height of lameness itself?

Feh. You're not looking at this stuff right.

*) buckets and bucket-brigades are the data abstraction

*) filters are an orthogonal hunk o' code. they *use* the buckets in their
   operation.

>... stupid crap ...
> The whole 'bucket brigade' pass-the-stuff-along example is simply
> what Roy used to try and explain what he was talking about but
> now it has ascended ( without due consideration ) to an actual naming
> convention and maybe it's time to think about whether it's really
> appropriate before you get any deeper into it.
>
> Keep 'bucket brigade' as a back-room way to explain the concept.
> Pick something ELSE for the actual function names.

Sorry. You lose.

We just had a big meeting about this stuff on Friday. *Everybody* seemed to
be quite happy with the term "bucket" and "bucket brigade". Those hold the
data.

A separate beast, called "filters", happens to use the buckets and brigades
for passing data through a filter chain.

> Besides... I think you are going to discover by the time the dust
> clears that the 'bucket brigade' comparison is not going to 'hold
> water' ( pun intended ) under all filtering circumstances and when
> it is finished you will not only be stuck with a naming
> convention that is a little lame but doesn't even really explain what
> is happening under all circumstances.

Ah, shut up. We had a dozen bright minds in a room. They all felt that the
bucket concept will carry us as far as we'd like to go. I'll place my bets
on that group over your FUD.

If you can name a *specific* problem, then I'll gladly listen.

> Better to keep the API names generic up front.
>
> Just my opinion, as well, of course... but tonight seems to be the
> night for them.

Yup. My drunk, belligerent opinion, too.

All the smart brains that I respect like the buckets/brigades/filters
design. That design is being implemented and will be checked in within a day
or so.

Cheers,
-g

--