httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: return value of a filter
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:50:08 GMT

+1 here too, this is the more common syntax of error-checked funcs.
(Well, excluding errno, which is not our model.)  We need to indirect
no matter what, so I'd rather see the size indirected.

> The number of bytes sent is (as you point out) rather bogus.  "sent" is a
> meaningless concept from the (theoretical) filter chain standpoint. The
> "consumed" notion is nice, but the design point is simply: I consumed the
> whole darn brigade. Byte counts are moot -- the caller is certainly not
> going to do anything with them.

> -0 on any kind of "out of band" query facility w.r.t bytes
> process/written.

For emulation alone, this information is valuable.  Yes, maybe we don't
expect the caller to retry, but this is still useful imho.