httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Ostenberg <mike...@pacbell.net>
Subject can't get serving from /~user to work
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:40:52 GMT
Hi There,
I've got Apache up and running (serving pages from the default directory)
but I can't seem to get it to serve pages from my user's home directory. I
suspect that the problem lies in the .htaccess file which I have in
/~user/public_html directory. When I remove this file I get a microsoft
explorer error page that says "page cannot be displayed", but when I put the
.htaccess file in the directory, I get an "Internal server error (error
500)" displayed from the Apache server. So at least that means that it's
going to the right directory and reading the local .htaccess file there. My
.htaccess is as follows:
# -FrontPage-
IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# /HEADER* */README* */_vti*
<Limit GET POST>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
#AuhName DarkHound
#AuthUserFile /home/httpd/html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
#AuthGroupFile /home/httpd/html/_vti_pvt/service.grp
As you can see, I've commented out the #Auth stuff (just in case that was
the problem) but it didn't affect anything. I noticed that there is a
# -FrontPage- comment at the start of my .htaccess file (I stole the file
from the default directory where it seems to work fine). Could it be that my
failed attempt to run the frontpage scripts (they crashed halfway through)
have screwed up some of my security settings (even though I didn't see
anything obvious in the .httpd.conf file)?
Sorry about the novel-length posting, and thanks in advance to any of you
speed-readers who actually make it through this and have *ANY* advice,
Mike