httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: error handling suggestion
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:22:31 GMT
(trying again after tweaking my mail cfg in various ways)

Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> Rather than use a callback for logging errors, why don't we just return the
> data to the caller and let the caller decide?
>
> Ryan's point about context is quite valid. It gets rather difficult to prep
> the callback context for each of the calls into APR. But the *caller* of an
> APR function knows the context. If not, then it just returns the data
> further up until somebody does know.
>
> When the caller gets an error, it can log the problem, or it can punt it up
> to the next level.
>
> I'll write a short design proposal here:

As far as I know this framework can be used to return whatever info
might be available.

I'm concerned about the dynamic allocations from a pool.  This is
along the normal APR tact of forcing the app to have interesting pool
management code (like Apache), so I guess I should be used to it by
now :)

I'll also throw in the comment that the idea I described was tempered
by not wanting to throw out the current scheme but instead to try to
fill in some gaps here and there.   It is a bit hard to swallow the
changes required by your scheme at the moment :)

Have fun,

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

--IAA21049.964095755/k5.localdomain--